Zachary Mannes, M.S.
Zach Mannes is a fourth year graduate and National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute on Drug Abuse predoctoral fellow in the department of Clinical and Health Psychology. Zach graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2014 with Bachelor of Science degrees in both psychology and human development. His academic interests lie in clinical health/medical psychology, with a research focus on examining correlates of substance use among underrepresented populations. Over the next several years he hopes to further his training in the translational biopsychosocial sciences related to substance use. In the future he would like to work in an academic center, with a strong focus on developing behavioral interventions to reduce substance misuse and improve health outcomes in underrepresented populations. In his free time Zach enjoys napping, traveling, hanging out with friends, and watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a continuous loop.
Zach is a member of the Intervention Research Advancing Care Equity (i-RACE) lab under the mentorship of Dr. Nicole Ennis. He has previously studied correlates of substance use among people living with HIV, specifically the association between affective states, heavy drinking, and illicit drug use. As a NIDA predoctoral fellow he is pursuing research in the area of opioid and marijuana use among retired professional football players.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Dunne, E., Hearn, L.E., & Whitehead, N.E. (2017). Contextualizing Psychosocial Determinants of Alcohol Use by Age Cohorts Among HIV+ Adults 50 and Older. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care DOI: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.11.005
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Bryant V., Dunne E., Hearn, L.E., Whitehead, N.E. (2016). Loneliness and Substance Use: The Influence of Gender among HIV+ Black/African American Adults 50+. AIDS Care, DOI:10.1080/09540121.2015.1120269
- Mannes, Z.L., Bryant, V., Burrell, L.E., Lu, H., Ferguson, E.G., Cook R., & Ennis, N. (Revise and Resubmit). The Prevalence and Patterns of Substance Use Across Birth Cohorts Among HIV+ Adults Within the State of Florida. Aging and Mental Health.
- Mannes, Z.L., Waxenberg, L., Cottler, L.B., Perlstein W., Burrell, L.E., Edwards, M. & Ennis (Revise and Resubmit). Prevalence and correlates of psychological distress among former high performance athletes: A Systematic Review. Submitted to the International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Zhou, Z., Lu, H., Somboonwit, C., Cook R., & Ennis, N. (Under Review). Marijuana Use among HIV+ Adults: Motivation for Use is Associated with Medication Adherence. Submitted to AIDS Patient Care and STDs.
- Mannes, Z.L., Hearn, L.E., Cook R., Zhou, Z., & Ennis, N. (Under Review). The Association between Symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and ED/Urgent Care Visits, Overnight Hospital Stays, and Appointment Adherence among HIV-positive Adults Enrolled in Care. Submitted to Journal of Anxiety Disorders.
- Dunne, E. M., Striley, C. W., Mannes, Z.L., Whitehead, N. E., & Cottler, L. B. (Under Review). Examining reasons for prescription opioid use during NFL career as a risk factor for current use and misuse. Submitted to Clinical Journal of Sports Medicine.
- Mannes, Z.L., Lu, H., Cook R., & Whitehead, N.E. The Prevalence and Patterns of Substance Use Across Age Cohorts in HIV+ Adults within the State of Florida (July, 2017). Presented at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence. Montreal, Canada.
- Mannes, Z.L. Burrell, L., Dunne, E., & Whitehead N.E. (May, 2016). Contextualizing Psychosocial Functioning by Age Cohorts among HIV+ Older Adults 50 and Older. Presented at the annual convention of the Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium. Miami, FL.
- Mannes, Z.L. Burrell, L., Bryant, V., &Whitehead N.E. (January, 2015). Alcohol use as coping mechanism for loneliness in minority HIV+ adults 50 and older. Presented at the annual convention of the Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium. Gainesville, FL.
- Mannes, Z.L., Hearn, L.E., Dunne E., Burrell, L.E., Whitehead, N.E. (September, 2015). Trait Anger and Medication Adherence: The Influence of Gender among HIV+ Black/African American Adults 50+. Presented at the Society for Behavioral Medicine. Washington, D.C.
- Hearn, L.E., Mannes, Z.L., Diggins, A., Whitehead, N.E. (September, 2015). Examination of Cancer Stress, Life Stress and Perceived Global Stress on Quality of Life among Breast Cancer Survivors. Presented at the Society for Behavioral Medicine. Washington, D.C.
National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) Predoctoral Fellowship: June 2016
Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium Travel Award: April 2016
Virginia Tech Psychology Department’s Outstanding Senior Award: May 2014
Virginia Tech Psychology Department’s Award for Research Excellence: May 2014
Virginia Tech College of Science Outstanding Senior Award Finalist: May 2014
Uzi Selzer Award for the Best Undergraduate Paper in an Applied Area, Virginia Psychological Association Conference: May 2012
Sponsored by the Virginia Academic and Applied Psychologist Mannes, Z., Smith, R. C., Krone, J., Melvin, A., & Sedler, C. (April, 2012).