Peter Lang, Ph.D.
Graduate Research Professor & Director, Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention (CSEA)
NIMH Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention (CSEA) http://www.csea.phhp.ufl.edu/
UF Fear & Anxiety Disorders Clinic: http://www.fearclinic.ufl.edu/
- Ph.D. 1958, University of Buffalo
- M.A. 1952, University of Buffalo
- B.A. 1950, Denison University
Our Center’s research focus is the study of anxiety and mood disorders. Current projects–following the NIMH RDoC initiative–aim to define biomarkers that could better distinguish among disorders, determining their physiological diathesis, and potentially defining more precise targets for treatment. Methods include assessment of cortical circuits (fMRI, EEG), stress hormones, genes, and autonomic & somatic reflexes. Center research also includes a significant basic research program, providing a foundation in emotion science from which translational investigations with patients are developed.
Anxiety and mood disorders (FADC)
Lang, P. J. (2014). Emotion’s response patterns: The brain and the autonomic nervous system. Emotion Review, 6, 93-99.
Lang, P. J., McTeague, L. M., & Bradley, M. M. (2016). RDoC, DSM, and the reflex physiology of fear: A bio-dimensional analysis of the anxiety disorders spectrum. Psychophysiology, 53, 336-347. doi: 10.111/psyp.12462
Lang, P. J., McTeague, L. M., & Bradley, M. M. (2017). The psychophysiology of anxiety and mood disorders: The RDoC challenge. Zeitschrift für Psychologie, 225, 175-188. doi: 10.1027/2151-2604/a000302
Lang, P. J., Herring, D. R., Duncan, C., Richter, J., Sege, C. T., Weymar, M., … Bradley, M. M. (2018). The startle-evoked potential: Negative affect and severity of pathology in anxiety/mood disorders. Biological Psychiatry: Cognitive Neuroscience and Neuroimaging, 3, 626-634. doi: 10.1016/j.bpsc.2017.07.006
Sambuco, N., Bradley, M. M., Herring, D., Hillbrandt, K., & Lang, P. J. (in press). Transdiagnostic trauma severity in anxiety and mood disorders: functional brain activity during emotional scene processing. Psychophysiology.
- CLP7980 – Doctoral Research
- CLP6945 – Advanced Practicum in Neuropsychology at the Fear & Anxiety Disorders Clinic
- CLP7934 – Cognitive and Affective Bases of Behavior
- CLP7934 – Classics in Cognitive Neuroscience
Awards & Honors
- Distinguished Contributions to Psychophysiology from the Society of Psychophysiological Research, 1990
- Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award from the American Psychological Association, 1993
- Distinguished International Educator Award, University of Florida, 2004
- Lifetime Career Award, International Union of Psychological Science, presented at the 31st meeting of the International Congress of Psychology, 2016
- American Psychological Association, 1958 – present
- Society for Psychophysiological Research, 1964 – present
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, Elected Fellow, 1970 – present
- The Society for Neuroscience, 1975 – present
- The Association for Psychological Science, Advisory Committee, 1988 – present