Zach Mannes is a graduate student and former National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) predoctoral fellow in the departments of Clinical and Health Psychology and Epidemiology. Zach graduated from Virginia Tech in May 2014 with Bachelor of Science degrees in Psychology and Human Development. His academic interests lie in clinical health/medical psychology, with a research focus on examining correlates of substance use among underrepresented populations. Over the next several years he hopes to further his training in the translational biopsychosocial sciences related to substance use. In the future he would like to work in an academic center, with a strong focus on developing behavioral interventions to reduce substance misuse and improve health outcomes in underserved and at-risk populations. In his free time Zach enjoys napping, traveling, hanging out with friends, and watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy on a continuous loop.
Zach is a member of the Intervention Research Advancing Care Equity (iRACE) lab under the mentorship of Dr. Nicole Ennis. He has previously studied correlates of substance use among people living with HIV, specifically the association between affective states, heavy drinking, and illicit drug use. Zach will examine the unique effects of different aspects of pain (i.e., intensity, catastrophizing, interference, or acceptance) on opioid use, depressive symptoms, and HRQOL among National Football League retirees.
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Chichetto, N. E., Mannes, Z.L., Allen, M. K., Cook, R. L., & Ennis, N. (2019). HIV Care Provider Perceptions and Approaches to Managing Unhealthy Alcohol Use in Primary HIV Care Settings: A Qualitative Study. Addiction Science & Clinical Practice, 14(1), 21. DOI: 10.1186/s13722-019-0150-8
- Ferguson, E., Mannes, Z.L., & Ennis, N. (2019). Is Marijuana Use Associated with Lower Inflammation? Results from Waves III and IV of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent to Adult Health. Drug and Alcohol Dependence. DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2019.01.021
- Mannes, Z. L., Waxenberg, L. B., Cottler, L. B., Perlstein, W. M., Burrell, L. E., Ferguson, E. G., … & Ennis, N. (2019). Prevalence and Correlates of Psychological Distress among Retired Elite Athletes: A Systematic Review. International Review of Sport and Exercise Psychology, 1-30, DOI: 10.1080/1750984X.2018.1469162.
- Mannes, Z.L., Hearn, L.E., Zhou, Z., Janelle, J., Cook R.L., & Ennis, N. (2019). The Association between Symptoms of Generalized Anxiety Disorder and ED/Urgent Care Visits, Overnight Hospital Stays, and Appointment Adherence among Adults Living with HIV Enrolled in Care. Journal of Behavioral Medicine, 1-12. DOI: 10.1007/s10865-018-9988-6
- Mannes, Z.L., Ferguson, E., Burrell, L.E., Cook, R.L., & Ennis, N. (2018). Brief Report: The Association between Recreational versus Therapeutic Marijuana Use on Hazardous Alcohol Consumption and Alcohol Associated Behavioral Consequences among Adults Living with HIV. Harm Reduction Journal, 15(1), 61. DOI: 10.1186/s12954-018-0266-2
- Ennis, N., Bryant, V., & Mannes, Z.L. (2018). Value of Perceived Support on Depressive Symptoms and Heavy Drinking Among Underserved HIV+ Adults 50 and Older. Psychology, Health & Medicine, 24(3), 355-361. DOI: 10.1080/13548506.2018.1529327.
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Zhou, Z., Ferguson, E.G., Lu, H., Somboonwit, C., Cook R., & Ennis, N (2018). The Association of Therapeutic Versus Recreational Marijuana Use and Antiretroviral Adherence among Adults Living with HIV in Florida. Patient Preference and Adherence,12, 1363. DOI: 10.2147/PPA.S167826.
- Dunne, E. M., Striley, C. W., Mannes, Z. L., Asken, B. M., Whitehead, N. E., & Cottler, L. B. (2018). Reasons for Prescription Opioid Use While Playing in the National Football League as Risk Factors for Current Use and Misuse among Former Players. Clinical Journal of Sport Medicine, DOI: 10.1097/JSM.0000000000000628.
- Mannes, Z.L., Bryant, V., Burrell, L.E., Zhou, Z., Lu, H., Ferguson, E.G., Cook R., & Ennis, N. (2018). The Prevalence and Patterns of Substance Use across Birth Cohorts among HIV+ Adults within the State of Florida. Aging and Mental Health, DOI: 10.1080/13607863.2018.1430740.
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Dunne, E.M., Hearn, L.E., & Whitehead, N.E. (2017). Contextualizing Psychosocial Determinants of Alcohol Use by Age Cohorts among HIV+ Adults 50 and Older. Journal of the Association of Nurses in AIDS Care, DOI: 10.1016/j.jana.2016.11.005.
- Mannes, Z.L., Burrell, L.E., Bryant V., Dunne E., Hearn, L.E., Whitehead, N.E. (2016). Loneliness and Substance Use: The Influence of Gender among HIV+ Black/African American Adults 50+. AIDS Care, DOI:10.1080/09540121.2015.1120269.
- Mannes, Z.L., Ferguson, E.G., Perlstein, W.M., Waxenberg, L.B., Cottler, L.B., Ennis N. (Revise and Resubmit). Health Consequences of Pain Catastrophizing among Retired National Football League Athletes. Submitted to Health Psychology.
- Chichetto N.K., Mannes Z.L., Allen M.K., Cook R.L., Ennis N. (Under Review). Perceived barriers/facilitators, knowledge, and current care practices of unhealthy alcohol consumption in primary HIV. Submitted to Addiction Science & Clinical Practice.
- Joseph V., Jones A., Mannes Z.L., Lu H, Cook CL, Ibañez G, Cook RL (Under Review). Patterns of Mild and Severe Pain among People Living with HIV: Results from a Community Sample. Submitted to AIDS Care.
- Joseph V., Jones A., Mannes Z.L., Lu H., Ennis, N., Somboonwitt, C., Cook R.L. (Under Review). Regular Marijuana Use is Associated with Suboptimal ART Adherence among People Living with HIV Reporting Pain. Submitted to AIDS and Behavior.
- Ennis, N., Mannes, Z.L., & Cottler, L.B. (In Preparation). Illicit Substance Use and SBIRT: A Systematic Review.
- Ennis N., Mannes Z.L., Ferguson E.G., Cook R.L. (In Preparation). Anxiety Mediates the Relationship Between Illicit Drug Use and Medication Adherence among PLWH.
- Mannes, Z.L., Ferguson, E.G., Ennis N. (In Preparation). The Association between Loneliness and Cigarette Smoking Among Adults Living with HIV.
- Mannes, Z.L., Ferguson, E.G., Ferson, D., Cottler, L.B. Ennis N. Pain Acceptance Mediates the Relationship between Pain Intensity and Opioid Use among Retired National Football League Athletes: Preliminary Findings
1. Ferguson, E., Mannes, Z.L., & Ennis, N. The Association between Recency of Marijuana Use and C – reactive protein (2018). Presented at the Add Health Users Conference. Bethesda, MD.
2. Mannes, Z.L., Ferguson, E.G., Cook R.L., & Ennis, N. (2018). The Association between Recreational versus Therapeutic Marijuana Use on Hazardous Alcohol Consumption and Alcohol Associated Behavioral Consequences among Adults Living with HIV. Presented at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence. San Diego, CA.
3. Joseph V., Mannes Z.L., Jones A., Lu H., Cook C.L., Ibañez G., Cook R.L. (2018). The Association of Marijuana Use and Mental Health Symptoms with Pain Severity among Persons Living with HIV Infection: Results from a Community-Recruited Sample. Presented at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence. San Diego, CA.
4. Ennis, N., Kelso-Chichetto, N., Mannes, Z.L. & Cook, R.L. (2017). Implementation of an Academic-Public Partnership to Examine the Relationship between Marijuana Use and Durable Viral Load. Poster presented at the 10th Annual Conference on the Science of Dissemination and Implementation in Health. Arlington, VA.
5. Ennis, N., Kelso-Chichetto, N., Mannes, Z.L. & Cook, R.L. (2017). Improving substance use interventions in HIV care in the public healthcare system: Understanding provider needs. Presented at the 4th Biennial Society for Implementation Research Collaboration. Seattle, WA.
6. Mannes, Z.L., Lu, H., Cook R., & Whitehead, N.E. The Prevalence and Patterns of Substance Use across Age Cohorts in HIV+ Adults within the State of Florida (2017). Presented at the College on Problems of Drug Dependence. Montreal, Canada.
2018 University of Florida Clinical and Health Psychology Nathan W. Perry Scientist- Practitioner Memorial Scholarship for outstanding integration of science and practice
2018 Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium Travel Award
2018 University of Florida Clinical and Health Psychology Travel Award
2016 Institutional Research Training Grant, National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA): T32DA035167, UF Substance Abuse in Public Health Training Center
2016 Southern HIV and Alcohol Research Consortium Travel Award
2014 Virginia Tech Psychology Department’s Outstanding Senior Award
2014 Virginia Tech Psychology Department’s Award for Research Excellence
2012 Virginia Tech College of Science Outstanding Senior Award Finalist
2012 Virginia Psychological Association Conference Award for the Best Undergraduate Paper in an Applied Area.