Manuela is a graduate student in the Pediatric Behavioral Health Lab under the mentorship of Dr. David Fedele. She graduated from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill in 2017 with a Bachelor of Arts in psychology and a minor in medical anthropology. After graduation, she worked as a research assistant for the Behavioral Diabetes Research Team at Children’s National Hospital in Washington, DC. In that position, she worked across multiple behavioral interventions to help children, teens, and families manage Type 1 diabetes.
Manuela’s research interests include family functioning within the context of pediatric illness, health disparities, and the use of mobile health interventions to promote positive illness management in youth with chronic medical conditions.
- Clary, L., Wang, C.H., Sinisterra, M., Rose, M. (under review). Understanding, assessing and treating fear of hypoglycemia in youth with type 1 diabetes and their parents. On the Cutting Edge.
- Jaser, S.S., Datye, K., Morrow, T., Sinisterra, M., LeStourgeon, L., Abadula, F., Bell, G.E., Streisand, R. (under review). THR1VE! Positive psychology intervention to treat diabetes distress in teens with type 1 diabetes: Rational and trial design.
- Sinisterra, M., Kelly, K.P., Shneider, C., Elzein, A., Swartwout, E., Deyo, P., Streisand, R. (2020). Working towards a mHealth platform for adolescents with type 1 diabetes: Focus groups with teens, parents, and providers. The Diabetes Educator, 46(5).
- Sinisterra, M., Hamburger, S., Tully, C., Hamburger, E., Jaser, S., Streisand, R. (2020). Young children with T1D: Sleep, health-related quality of life, and continuous glucose monitor use. Diabetes Technology and Therapeutics, ahead of print.
- Gaudier-Diaz, M. M., Sinisterra, M., Muscatell, K. A. (2019). Motivation, belongingness, and anxiety in neuroscience undergraduates: Emphasizing first generation college students. Journal of Undergraduate Neuroscience Education, 17(2), A145-A152.
- Brodey, B., Purcell, S.E., Rhea, K., Maier, P., First, M., Zweede, L., Sinisterra, M., Nunn, B., Austin, M.P., Brodey, I.S. (2018). Rapid and accurate behavioral health diagnostic screening: Initial validation study of a web-based, self-report tool (the SAGE-SR). Journal of Medical Internet Research, 20(3), e108.
Society of Pediatric Psychology
American Diabetes Association
Society of Clinical Child and Adolescent Psychology
Honors and Awards
McKnight Doctoral Fellowship, Florida Education Fund (2020)
Diverse Scholar Award, Society of Pediatric Psychology (2019)