When are applications due to the Doctoral Program in Clinical Psychology?
- Applications are due November 15 to join the cohort of the following Fall semester.
Are applications accepted for the Spring or Summer?
- No. Applications are only accepted to begin in the Fall.
Do you offer a master’s program?
- We do not offer a Masters degree. Applicants are only admitted to the Ph.D. program. Students may enter the program with a bachelor’s degree and will earn their master’s along the way to the Ph.D.
Is the program offered online?
- No. The Clinical Psychology program is fully on-campus. Students begin seeing patients in our clinic from the second year.
Do I need to separately apply for an assistantship?
- No. Any student accepted to the Clinical Psychology Ph.D. program will be appointed as a Graduate Assistant with an annual stipend of at least $25,000.
Are tuition and fees covered?
- The Graduate Assistantship and stipend is accompanied by tuition waivers for 9 credits in the Fall and Spring and 6 credits in the Summer. Students will be responsible for paying their own fees which are approximately $82/credit hour. Students are responsible for both tuition (~448.73/credit) and fees in the final year during internship.
How long does the program take?
- Students in the Child and Health Areas typically complete 4 years of coursework followed by the 1-year internship before the Ph.D. degree is conferred. Students in the Neuropsychology Area typically complete 5 years of coursework followed by the 1-year internship before the Ph.D. degree is conferred.
Does the department provide any application fee waivers?
- At this time, the Department of Clinical and Health Psychology does not offer application fee waivers.
Do you need to have psychology or research experience to be admitted to the Clinical Psychology Ph.D.?
- While previous psychology and research experience is looked at favorably, it is not required. Applications are reviewed holistically and faculty are looking to see that students are a good fit for the program and their lab with a passion for the pursuit of knowledge in clinical psychology.
- The Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology follows a scientist-practitioner model where students are expected to do continuous research and, from the second year on, see patients in our clinic.
What is the GPA requirement to be admitted?
- We have not set a minimum GPA required for admittance. Other elements of the application might outweigh a lower GPA.
- Average GPA for those admitted for the 2020 cohort: 3.74
- Average GPA for those admitted for the 2019 cohort: 3.83
- Average GPA for those admitted for the 2018 cohort: 4.0
How many students are admitted each year?
- The department receives 200-300 applications to the program each year. From there, approximately 50-60 applicants are invited to attend the Interview Weekend. Admission to the Fall cohort is offered to 12-15 students.
Can I submit my application before my recommenders submit their letters?