- Ph.D. 1979, Pennsylvania State University
- M.S. 1977 Pennsylvania State University
Dr. Bauer has authored over 80 professional papers and has received extramural support from the National Institute of Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, the National Institutes of Communicative Disorders and Stroke, the Health Resources and Services Administration, and the National Institutes of Mental Health. He currently has a funded project in collaboration with the UF Clinical & Translational Science Institute (CTSI) to establish a practice-based concussion/traumatic brain injury research network among Florida health practitioners. Additional ongoing research projects examine differential diagnosis and preclinical detection of dementia, hippocampal contributions to spatial memory, and structure-function relationships in memory disorders using structural brain imaging techniques.
Bauer, R.M., Iverson, G.L., Cernich, A.N., Binder, L.M., Ruff, R.M., & Naugle, R.I. (2012). Computerized neuropsychological assessment devices: Joint Position Paper of the American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology and the National Academy of Neuropsychology. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 26(2), 177-196.
Bauer, R.M. (2012). Agnosia. In K.M. Heilman & E. Valenstein (Eds.). Clinical Neuropsychology (5th Ed.), pp 238-295. New York: Oxford University Press.
Bauer, R.M., Reckess, G.Z., Kuman, A., & Valenstein, E. (2012) Amnesic disorders In K.M. Heilman & E. Valenstein (Eds.). Clinical Neuropsychology (5th Ed.), pp 504-581. New York: Oxford University Press.
Zahodne, L.B., Bowers, D., Price, C.C., Bauer, R.M., Nisenzon, A., Foote, K.D., & Okun, M.S. (2011). The case for testing memory with both stories and word lists prior to DBS surgery for Parkinson’s disease. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 25, 348-358.
Demery, J.A., Larson, M.J., Dixit, N.K., Bauer, R.M., & Perlstein, W.M. (2010). Operating characteristics of executive functioning tests following traumatic brain injury. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 24, 1292-1308.
Howe, L.L., Sweet, J.J. & Bauer, R.M. (2010). Advocacy 101: A step beyond complaining. How the individual practitioner can become involved and make a difference. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 24, 373-390.
Goodman, W.K., Foote, K.D., Greenberg, B.D., Ricciuti, N., Bauer, R.M., Ward, H., Shapira, N.A., Wu, S.S., Hill, C.L., Rasmussen, S.A., & Okun, M.S. (2010). Deep brain stimulation for intractable obsessive compulsive disorder: Pilot study using a blinded, staggered-onset design. Biological Psychiatry, 67, 535-542.
Loring, D.W. & Bauer, R.M. (2010). Testing the limits: Cautions and concerns regarding the new Wechsler IQ and memory scales. Neurology, 74, 685-690.
Young, A.W., DeHaan, E.H.F., & Bauer, R.M. (2008). Face perception: A very special issue. Journal of Neuropsychology, 2, 1-14.
Bauer, R.M. (2008). The three amnesias. In J.E. Morgan & J.H. Ricker (Eds.), Textbook of Clinical Neuropsychology, pp. 729-742. NewYork: Psychology Press.
Bauer, R.M. (2007). Evidence-based practice in psychology: Implications for research and research training. Journal of Clinical Psychology, 63, 685-694.
Attix, D.K., Donders, J., Johnson-Greene, D., Grote, C.L., Harris, J.G., & Bauer, R.M. (2007). Disclosure of test data: official position of Division 40 (Clinical Neuropsychology) of the American Psychological Association, Association of Postdoctoral Programs in Clinical Neuropsychology, and American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology. The Clinical Neuropsychologist, 21, 232-238.
McDonald, C. R., Bauer, R. M., Filoteo, J. V., Grande, L., Roper, S. N., & Gilmore, R. (2006). Episodic memory in patients with focal frontal lobe lesions. Cortex, 42, 1080-1092.
Leritz, E.C., Grande, L.J., & Bauer, R.M. (2006). Temporal lobe epilepsy as a model to understand human memory: the distinction between explicit and implicit memory. Epilepsy & Behavior, 9, 1-13.
McDonald, C. R., Bauer, R. M., Filoteo, J. V., Grande, L., Roper, S. N., Buchanan, R. J., & Gilmore, R. (2005). Semantic priming in patients with right frontal lobe lesions. Journal of the International Neuropsychological Society, 11, 132-143.
Bauer, R.M. (2002). To Infinity and Beyond: Neuropsychology in the 21st Century. In Stringer, T., Cooley, E., & Christensen, A.-L. (Eds.). Pathways to Prominence: Reflections of 20th Century Neuropsychologists, pp. 267-295. New York: Psychology Press.
- Abnormal Psychology
- Introduction to Clinical Psychology
- Introduction to Clinical Neuropsychology
- Psychiatric Disorders
- Critical Thinking in Health Care
- Cognitive Bases of Behavior
- Neuropsychological Assessment of Adults
- Intellectual Assessment
- Psychopathological Disturbances
- Introduction to Research and Design
- Professional Issues and Ethics
- Evidence-Based Practice in Psychology
- Human Higher Brain Function
Awards & Honors
- Fellow, American Psychological Association, Division 40 [Clinical Neuropsychology], 2008
- Board Certified in Clinical Neuropsychology, American Board of Clinical Neuropsychology/ABPP (#4492)
- Licensed Psychologist, State of Florida (PY 2037)
- Distinguished Neuropsychologist Award, American Academy of Clinical Neuropsychology, 2006
- Florida Psychological Association Outstanding Psychological Research Award, 1992
- Edith Kaplan Award, Massachusetts Neuropsychological Society, 2010
- University of Florida Doctoral Dissertation Mentoring Award 2004
- Department Teaching Awards 1988, 2995, 2008
- International Neuropsychological Society (Past President, 2011-2012)
- American Psychological Association, Division 40 (Past President, 2005-2006)