Assistant Professor & Co-Director, Center for Pain Research and Behavioral Health
Office: (352) 273-6147
Center for Pain Management: https://painlab.phhp.ufl.edu
- Ph.D., 2012, University of Florida
Dr. Boissoneault’s research focuses on the application of behavioral, psychophysiological, and neuroimaging approaches to the study of a) pain and related constructs (e.g., fatigue); b) alcohol and substance use; and c) their interaction. For instance, he is interested in improving understanding of how pain may influence alcohol effects and use behavior, as well as how alcohol use affects pain processing. He also has a strong interest in mechanisms underlying placebo efficacy, pain-related decision making, and the acute and chronic neurobehavioral effects of alcohol use.
Boissoneault, J., Lewis, B., & Nixon, S.J. (2018). Characterizing Chronic Pain and Alcohol Use Trajectory Among Treatment-Seeking Alcoholics. Alcohol 75:47-54.
Boissoneault, J., Letzen, J., Robinson, M., & Staud, R. (in press). Cerebral Blood Flow and Heart Rate Variability Predict Fatigue Severity in Patients with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. Brain Imaging and Behavior. PMID: 29855991
Boissoneault, J., Letzen, J., Sevel., L., Robinson, M.E., & Staud, R. (2017). Brain Imaging Results as Biomarkers for Musculoskeletal Pain Conditions. Current Rheumatology Reports 19(1):5. PMID: 28144827.
Boissoneault, J., Letzen, J., Lai, S., O’Shea, A., Craggs, J., Robinson, M., & Staud, R. (2016). Abnormal resting-state functional connectivity in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: An arterial spin-labeling fMRI study. Magn Reson Imaging 34(4):603-608. PMID: 26708036.
Boissoneault, J., Sklar, A.L., Prather, R.A., & Nixon, S.J. (2014). Acute Effects Of Moderate Alcohol On Psychomotor, Set Shifting, And Working Memory Function In Older And Younger Social Drinkers. Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs 75(5):870-9. PMID: 25208205.
Awards & Honors
- Grinter Fellowship, University of Florida College of Medicine, 2007-2009
- Student Merit Travel Award, Research Society on Alcoholism, 2008-2012
- Young Investigator Travel Award, Research Society on Alcoholism, 2013
- Building Bridges Award, National Institute for Dental and Craniofacial Research (NIDCR), 2015
- Most Outstanding Research Award, University of Florida Department of Medicine, 2016
Dean’s Citation Paper Award, PHHP, University of Florida, 2018
- Research Society on Alcoholism
- International Society for Biomedical Research on Alcoholism
- American Psychological Association
- American Psychological Association Division 50: Society of Addiction Psychology
- Association for Psychological Science
- American Pain Society