Cognitive and Emotion Neuroscience
This area of concentration functions as a research group that is around two subthemes: (a) Cognitive neuroscience and aging; (b) Emotion neuroscience and psychopathology, as well as integration between both emphases. For doctoral training, most of our graduate trainees pursue their Ph.D. degree in Neuropsychology
Emotion neuroscience and psychopathology: This emphasis integrates two related areas: Study of (1) the basic science of emotion, as emotion is expressed in language behavior, overt action, autonomic and somatic physiology, and highlighting the investigation of mediating neural structures and circuits in the human brain. The toolkit for the emphasis consists of current, major research technologies, including methods in cognitive/computer science, the broad area of psychophysiological measurement, electroencephalography and brain imaging (MRI). (2) Applications of emotion science in experimental psychopathology, as it relates to clinical evaluation and treatment of the anxiety and mood disorders.
Cognitive neuroscience and aging: The mission of this emphasis is to conduct cutting-edge interdisciplinary clinical neuroscience and translational research on age-associated cognitive, behavioral and emotional functioning, factors that contribute to impairments and functional decline, and future avenues for intervention. A primary objective to translate basic science discoveries into clinical applications in order to slow, avert or restore age-related cognitive decline and memory loss.
Research activity is organized according to emphasis. For the emotion neuroscience emphasis, team members participate in both the basic science laboratories of the Center for the Study of Emotion and Attention and in the Fear and Anxiety Disorders Clinic. For the cognitive neuroscience emphasis, participation is expected in the ongoing research programs of the Center for Cognitive Aging and Memory.
Postdocs associated with CEN faculty:
Doctoral students associated with CEN faculty:
- Alexander (Alejandro) Albizu (neuroscience, advisor: Woods)
- Emanuel Boutzoukas (clinical psychology, advisor: Woods)
- Mark Britton (clinical psychology, advisor: Cohen)
- Nicole (Colee) Evangelista (clinical psychology, advisor: Woods)
- Cheshire Hardcastle (clinical psychology, advisor: Woods)
- Hanna Hausman (clinical psychology, advisor: Woods)
- Jessica Kraft (neuroscience, advisor: Woods)
- Kailey Langer (clinical psychology, advisor: Cohen)
- Joshua Owens (clinical psychology, advisor: Marsiske)
- Lindsay Rotblatt (clinical psychology, advisor: Marsiske)
- Destin Shortell (clinical psychology, advisor: Porges)
- Brad Taylor (clinical psychology, advisor: Marsiske)
- Furtuna Tewolde (clinical psychology, advisor: Woods)